May 15, 2013

traveling wife

I have been reading these two Finnish authors. Merette Mazzarellas Easter is from 1983. Anu Silfverbergs Mother-Card is published this year. Both books talk about woman´s place. While I laugh with Silfverberg, I still feel standing on the other side of the fence with her. She talks about having two carriers in the family and dividing house work. I have been going through this in my head millions of times. Discussion in Finland about house wives is not very pleasant. I feel like a slacker there while not having a proper job. Mazzarellas main characters mother is a house wife, who believes that she is needed home and is happy. The mother realises that not all of her own ambitions can come true.
I have interviewed in America women, who had a different point of view to the whole. They talk about doing these decisions together, having a common goal. They wanted to travel and husbands where relocated. I learned from them that not everything can be measured in straight forward career. There are many roads to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment