Jul 18, 2013

boys like flowers

My son 3 1/2 was a little worried because girls at the playground had said that his helmet was for girls. His helmet is white with pink flowers on it. He was confused because boys like flowers too. My son loves to give flowers to everyone. I said to him that boys like flowers, especially kings and princes. We had just read about king Arthur and  knights. 
It makes me angry when word girly is used in this manner, as exclusive and something little bit bad. Girly things are wonderful. We are taught that a girl can, if she wants, do boy stuff. Why do we deny small and big boys the access to girls world, to girly things? Now my son is writing a letter and pink is for his girl cousin and blue for him. Was it I who said that his cousin would like pink? Raising children is not easy when you are confronted with your on preconceptions and faults. 
After this outburst here are some pictures of happy things to do with my son in the summer in Helsinki. Pictures are taken in Tervasaari our nearest park. We take lunch with us and can spend the whole day at the park. There are lots of bushes to explore and a high climbing net. Best of all we have made new friends there.

No comments:

Post a Comment